Friday, November 04, 2005

Ithaca News: Penelopiad

(Via 3quarksdaily)

Margaret Atwood has written a novel, The Penelopiad, that is the story of Penelope, the wife of Odysseus, during the time her husband was off galavanting on his Odyssey. The reason this is Ithaca news is (of course) because Odysseus and Penelope lived in the original Ithaca.

This adds to the list of novels that are retellings of familiar tales told from the point of view of the female characters. Off the top of my head are:

The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant, which tells the biblical story of Jacob's family from the point of view of his daughter Dinah, a tragic figure from Genesis.

Ahab's Wife by Sena Naslund.

Maid Marian by Elsa Watson.

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, I really didn't like her book The Handmaid's Tale, which seemed ham-handed to me.

I thought there was a retelling of the Beowulf story from the p.o.v. of Grendel's mother, but after Googling for this book now I think I was just imagining it.

9:22 PM  
Blogger Kyle McCullough said...

Rich said: I thought there was a retelling of the Beowulf story from the p.o.v. of Grendel's mother, but after Googling for this book now I think I was just imagining it.

You should patent the idea!

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home