Wednesday, April 26, 2006

My 700 million children

According to the New York Times, if a man believes himself to be the biological father of a child, then he is right over 98% of the time. On the other hand, when he believes himself not to be the biological father of a child, he is wrong 70% of the time.
Using the most extensive data on nonpaternity rates assembled to date, the researchers tentatively concluded that men confident about their paternity are usually right: they are biologically unrelated only 1.7 percent to 3.7 percent of the time.

Those who insist they are not the fathers, on the other hand, are in fact the biological fathers in more than 70 percent of cases, a figure derived from data released by paternity testing laboratories.
Okay, so there are approximately 1 billion children, worldwide, who I would insist are not my biological children. If I'm wrong 70% of the time...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, somehow women are just so much better at knowing who their children are and are not.

10:28 PM  
Blogger Daryl McCullough said...

In her standup routine, comedian Sandra Bernhardt used to say: "A little about myself. I'm 23, single, no children...at least none that I know of <wink>."

Wow, it's a real pain to print less-than, greater-than in HTML.

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home