Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Misunderstanding Satire

Digby's blog, Hullabaloo, has an article about a line of "humorous" conservative t-shirts, including this one about journalists:



Other shirts for sale by the same organization make similar jokes about killing liberals and French people. I'm sure the people making these shirts would say that these sentiments are satire, but I think that they're confused about that word. As I understand it, in a satire, one makes fun of a person or an idea through exaggeration. So talking about lynching journalists (or liberals or Frenchmen) counts as a satire if it is making fun of those who hate those groups. It isn't satirizing those groups, however.

I always forget what the technical term is for the type of humor that goes: "You better run, because I'm gonna punch your lights out." Whatever it is, I don't think it's satire.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home